La Plaza- Much More than an ISPBuilding Healthier Communities
- Determine most effective ways for promoting use of personal computers & Internet Technology.
- Develop and evaluate a website (5 a Day the Rio Grande Way), promoting healthy nutrition and increased intake of fruits & vegetables among adults in Taos and Rio Arriba counties.
La Plaza Activities in Phase I (2000-2001)
- Identified and completed technology assessments of 46 public access computer sites in Taos and Rio Arriba Counties.
- Identified and contacted 110 local growers, produce retailers and nurseries to gather information and photos for website.
- Captured 250 digital photos of local residents buying, storing, preparing and eating fruits and vegetables.
- Facilitated website usability testing with 60 Taos County residents.
- Edited seven draft web modules.
- Assisted UNM staff with development of online and classroom computer training curricula.
La Plaza will hire 4 Community Outreach Trainers from Taos and Rio Arriba counties who will introduce their peers to computers and the Internet through nutrition website. Participants pre-post surveys will measure the efficacy of web-based health information for Taos and Rio Arriba county residents.
- AMC Cancer Research Center, Denver CO
- University of New Mexico, Albuquerque NM
- Colorado State University, Ft. Collins CO