Execute Board of Directors Policy and Procedures for La Plaza Telecommunity;
fund acquisition and proposal development for organizational development;
manage personnel and monitor grant protocol measurements and evaluations;
interface with community organizations and private citizens; evaluate Taos
County information technology needs and develop services and programs;
interface with national,state, and local governments.
21 years experience in administration and management of nonprofit private
and public agencies. Responsibilities include organizational development,
budget development and control, fund acquisition, proposal development and
contract administration, personnel management and development, public
relations, and interfacing with all levels of government. Moved to Taos in
December, 1994 and was Tribal Administrator at the Taos Pueblo until 1996.
Executive Director, La Plaza Telecommunity - 1997 to Present
Achievements with La Plaza:
- Reorganized the agency infrastructure of personnel, fiscal
management, and information technology service delivery.
- Successfully completed goals and objectives of a W.K.Kellogg Foundation $950,000 grant, to develop public access sites, Internet
access, and a virtual library in Taos County.
- Funding acquisition:
- McCune Foundation - $5000 grant for community meeting and Board
- W.K.Kellogg Foundation - $65,000 grant for information technology
training of public school teachers in Taos, Questa and Penasco.
- Benton Foundation - $40,000 grants for technology training of 45
undeserved artists in Taos County.
- America Online Foundation (AOL) winner of 1999 Rural Telecommunication Leadership Award in the Information Technology/Policy
- National Cancer Institute - $4,000,000 grant in partnership with
AMC in Denver, Colorado to conduct
research of web-based material for prevention and intervention of cancer in
an Hispanic population.
- Los Alamos National Lab Foundation - $27,000 grant for new system equipment.
- M. A. Healey Foundation - $25,000 grant for development of La Plaza Taining Center
- Developed a self-sustaining revenue for operational expenses.
- National Associations:
- National Library of Medicine Fellow - Barbara Hau, M.S, R.N., is hosted
by La Plaza to complete a Fellowship in informatics training
for health care professional.
- Hosted University of Norway educators for possible replication of
telecommunity model in Northern Norway.
- Professional Organizations:
- Community Technology Centers' Network, Member
- Association of Community Networks, Board Member
- Taos County Chamber of Commerce, Board Member
- Northern New Mexico Telecommunications Advisory Group - Consumer Education, Chair
- Taos Business Alliance, Board Member.
- New Mexico Business Journal - named as an active and dedicated leader in
the Taos community in 2000.
Graduated from West Texas State University in Canyon, Texas with BS in
Sociology in 1972. Relocated to Houston, Texas and worked with Texas State
Commission for the Blind and Texas Department of Mental Health and Mental
Retardation for 10 years. Relocated to Amarillo, Texas and was Executive
Director for two nonprofit agencies for 14 years. Fulfilled a life long
desire and moved to Taos in 1994. Skiing as often as possible and living
peacefully and simply in the Sangre de Cristo mountains.