Directory of Diabetes Education Services
If You Have Diabetes
If You Have Diabetes,
Take Special Care O' Yourself
- Eat a healthy, low-fat, high-fiber diet every day.
Limit very sweet foods, fruit juices, sodas with sugar, and fried and salty
- Move your body every day!
Take a walk, ride a bike, dance, swim.... whatever you enjoy. If you use
insulin, ask your health care provider about the best time of day to be
active. Check with your doctor before beginning any new exercise program.
- Check your feet every day and always wear comfortable shoes and socks.
Wash your feet daily and keep your skin soft with lotion. If you develop
a cut or sore, see your doctor right away.
- Check your blood sugar every day.
Use a blood glucose monitor -- your health care provider can show you how.
- Take your pills or insulin every day as recommended by your doctor.
When you are sick, ask your health care provider how to
adjust your medication and diet.
- Visit your doctor regularly, even if you feel fine!
Make an appointment every 6 months (every 3 months if you take insulin).
Table of Contents