About the Blood
Did you know...
- Nationally, four million people need blood
every year - that is one patient every 12 seconds.
- In 1997, 62,500 blood donations will have
to be given in order to meet patient needs in the New
Mexico area. More than 200 donations are needed each day.
- It is estimated that 60% of the population
will need blood at sometime in their life. Only 5% of the
population donates blood.
- There is no artificial substitute for
blood. When the people we love need blood, healthy human
beings are the only source.
- There are 8 differrent blood types,
O-negative is the universal blood type. It can be given
to patients with any blood type, which means that it is
- In Taos last year, Holy Cross hospital
used 621 components of blood. From Taos blood drives, we
collected 40 units of blood. This means Taos residents
are contributing less than 20% of the blood needs for the