At the same time, in doing this project the students will acquire a multicultural respect and value for the diverse cultures in which they live. The activities will link the learning of the language of Spanish into meaningful activities to help them to discover themselves as individiuals and as a group.
Students will write a three to five page report on some aspect of local culture accompanied by a series of photographs or graphics which complement the essay. Student reports will be displayed in the old gym during the two days of the Festival.
The most important goals of our project are as follows:
2. To be able to analyze and to understand the history, development, traditions, art, etc., within their community, region, country, and world.
3. To discover a way to permit the students to analyze problems that affect their community and to form ways to contribute to their solutions.
4. To discover feelings of appreciation, value, respect, and tolerance for their culture and for the cultural diversity in which they live.
5. To involve community members in the learning process.
6. To define the student's own personal role in their culture, and how s/he will contribute to its growth and continuancy.
7. To discover a way to write reports in their own language and in other languages.
In order to complete this project we needed the following items:
2. Cultural reporter student workbook
3. Tape recorders
5. Video camera
6. 35 mm camera
7. Space: the old gym
8. Funds for visiting performers from the community