* Students under sixteen (16) years of age must have
work permits at all times. To obtain a
work permit the student must contact their school counselor or principal. For questions
contact; Tiffany Starr at 827-6830 the Department of Labor Santa Fe office.
* The work permit is issued by the school or the
Director of the Labor & Industrial Division
of the Labor Department or the Director's designee.
* To obtain a work permit the student must have evidence
of age; birth certificate, baptismal
certificate, driver's license, state identification, etc.
* Student's under sixteen (16) years of age are not
permitted to work more than eight (8) hours a
day or forty-four (44) hours in one week. Students are also prohibited to work between the
hours of 9:00 pm and 7:00 am. There are no hour restriction for students over sixteen (16)
years of age.
* Federal tax, state tax, social security and workman's
compensation are the four (4) lawful
deductions without a signed authorization from the employee or a court order.
* Pay periods are required to be not more than sixteen (16) days apart.
* If an employee is discharged, the employer shall
pay such wages within five (5) calendar
days of such discharge when on a set wage. It commission or piece work, the employee shall
be paid within ten (10) days.
* If the employee quits the employer shall pay such
wages on the next regular payday.